The application to the MFA Program in Studio Art is divided into two parts. Please include all the necessary paperwork, your portfolio, and make sure your letters of recommendation are submitted prior to the deadline. The faculty will review the applications after January 15th and acceptance letters are sent out from three to four weeks after the due date.
The deadline is January 15.
The University of Utah has institutionalized an online graduate application process through “Apply Yourself.” Please click the button to the right to begin your application process.
When filling out the information in Apply Yourself, you will upload the following items.
1. A letter of intent and a detailed artist statement that addresses the following:
- Describe current artistic interests, the direction of your work, preferred area of study influences and why.
- Write about any relevant experiences that have prepared you as an artist and describe why this is the right time for you to go to graduate school.
- Describe your professional goals and how you plan to actively achieve them while in school and after.
- Describe what you can contribute, initiate, and risk as a member of our community.
- Why is this program a good fit for you?
Please be aware the committee most often recommends for admissions those individuals with a studio art background, which normally includes 41 undergraduate credits and a minimum of 12 credits in art history (quarter equivalents apply).
2. Application form + applicable fee, official transcripts from each college or university attended (min. GPA 3.0), an official TOEFL score (if required). We do not require a GRE score to apply.
An official TOEFL score for international students is required per the international graduate’s admission office. Beginning with the Fall 2013 semester, applicants must have a minimum TOEFL score of 80 iBT (550pBT) or a minimum IELTS band score of 6.5 or better. (Minimum score requirements are subject to change.)
3. Upload a resume that includes your full contact information, your educational background, any honors or awards and/or teaching experience as well as the names of your references and the coursework you did with them.
4. Three (3) letters of recommendation that speak to your creative talent and to your ability to succeed in a rigorous academic program (academic references from former or current professors are preferable to those from employers), sent separately by your evaluators. They will upload their letters through the Apply Yourself website.
Submit MFA Portfolio files via the Box widget below.
The MFA Portfolio should reflect a strong, self-directed involvement in your intended emphasis and supporting fields.
Applicants do not need to sign up for a subscription to Box in order to make a submission. Box.utah.edu is secure, online cloud storage, file sharing, and collaboration software available to all University of Utah students and faculty anywhere on any device.
Drop a zipped folder titled with your first and last name in the Box widget below. The folder should include the following:
- 20 JPG images (recommended size: 72 PPI, no larger than 1800 pixels at the longest dimension), for sound and video files, one three-minute maximum .mov or mp4 file.
- An image/video information list in a PDF document.
Once you have submitted your Portfolio to the Department of Art & Art History, you can check the status of your submission by contacting email@example.com or (801) 581-8677.