Urban Artworks – Art 4185
The Department of Art & Art History, City of South Salt Lake, Utah Division of Services for the Blind & Visually Impaired, Primary Children’s Medical Center, University of Utah Housing & Residential Education and other organizations and businesses have created opportunities for University of Utah Art Majors to paint site-specific community murals.
These public art projects will provide you valuable experience for your future art careers, including the challenges of working in a collaborative environment, large scale painting, presenting conceptual ideas and compositions, and creating art within the parameters of a public art project.
As a part of the University of Utah Mural Program, past students have had the opportunity to travel across the country to experience art on a national level. At the end of each semester, any remaining donations from the community partners are put towards travel scholarships. Past classes have gone to cities such as Philadelphia, San Francisco, Chicago and New York City.
4.0 credit hours. Fridays from 9:40 AM-3:55 PM. RM 342, Art Building
– Timely completion of three studio projects that fulfill course criteria
– Timely completion of presentation assignments
– Cohesive verbal presentation of studio artworks during critiques
– Completion of all reading assignments prior to the scheduled discussion
– Self-motivated and energetic participation in class discussions and technical demonstrations
– Active participation in all group critiques of studio projects
– Adhere to the attendance policy for the course as outlined in the syllabus
– Retrieving information relating to course assignments from websites
– Maintaining an active email account that you can check on a regular basis
“The University of Utah seeks to provide equal access to its programs, services and activities for people with disabilities. If you will need accommodations in the class, reasonable prior notice needs to be given to the Center for Disability Services, 162 Union Building, 581-5020 (V/TDD). CDS will work with you and the instructor to make arrangements for accomodations.”